The Life of Luigi Giussani by Alberto Savorana is a comprehensive biography of the founder of CL. In addition to reconstructing, for the first time, the priest’s entire trajectory as a man, it offers readers a testimony to the legacy he leaves for the lives of many and for the Church.
Among the number of volumes dedicated to Fr. Giussani and the history of CL, we’d like to recommend Bishop Massimo Camisasca’s book In cammino dentro il mondo [A Journey Within the World], which covers the time period from 1954 to 1984.
In the course of his life, Fr. Giussani published a great deal. As he himself said, “We want to show the rationality and usefulness for modern man of this response to the drama of existence called the ‘Christian event.’” The primary publisher in Italy is Rizzoli publishing (in addition to Jaca Book, Edizioni San Paolo, Marietti, SEI, Piemme). A large number have been translated, ranging from English to Chinese to Arabic.
To list a few of his most important works, with English translations in brackets if available:
- The three volumes of the “PerCorso”: The Religious Sense, 1997, At the Origin of the Christian Claim, 1998, and Why the Church, 2001
- The Risk of Education, 2001
- Is It Possible to Live this Way? Vol. 1-3, 2008
- The Journey to Truth is an Experience, 2006
- L’Avvenimento Cristiano. Uomo Chiesa Mondo, 1993
- The Work of the Movement. The Fraternity of Communion and Liberation, 2005
- L’Io, il Potere, le Opere, 2000
- L’Autocoscienza del Cosmo, 2000
- The Psalms, 2004
- L’Attrattiva Gesù, 1999
- Generating Traces in the History of the World. New Traces of Christian Experience, 2010, written together with Stefano Alberto and Javier Prades
- Il Senso di Dio e l’Uomo Moderno, 2015
- Le mie Letture, 2008
- Familiarità con Cristo. Meditazioni sull’Anno Liturgico, 2008
- Sul Senso Religioso, 2009, collection of writings by Giovanni B. Montini and Luigi Giussani
- Volumes from the series “Books of Luigi Giussani - The Equipes”: Dall’Utopia alla Presenza (1975-1978), Certi di alcune grandi cose (1978-1981), Uomini senza patria (1982-1983), Qui e ora (1984-1985), L’io rinasce in un incontro (1986-1987), Ciò che abbiamo di più caro (1988-1989), Un evento reale nella vita dell’uomo (1990-1991), and In Cammino (1992-1998).
His complete bibliography is available on the website scritti.luigigiussani.org, where it is possible to view any of his Italian works and some texts in English online and learn about the editorial history of each publication.
The complete list of books currently on the market may be found in the Publications section of this website, where they may also be purchased online.